
On Friday, Beth warned me that Episode 9 was a race to the bottom but I was not prepared for how true those words were. I am still shocked that Valerie was spared. Though whenever I think of Ivy's design, I am just as convinced the judges were right to boot her. Good lord, that dress was horrid. Pageant dress doesn't even being to describe it; more like high school sewing class makes costumes for the student play according to a bossy 12th grader drunk on her new-found power. Just look at it.
Not that Valerie was any better. It is painfully apparent that she is over her head in this competition - a fact tragically exemplified by the dress she herself was wearing on the runway as the judges identified her biggest problem as not understanding fabric. Weird boobs, big waist, wrong fabric. Sad.
Michael C could not have been more annoying with his "I'm sorry, I've never been in the bottom before" comment, to which I found myself gasping "really?". Really. At least Lifetime is bringing back his commentary and he's got it in for Gretchen. "Velvet is a boring fabric and Gretchen makes boring clothes, so it's a perfect fit." True dat, Michael C.
And speaking of... I have to hand it to Gretchen, her couture dress was actually well-made. Not even remotely my style, but it was nice, and would have been prettier had she foreseen Heidi's advice of making the back the front. Her ready to wear piece was a crock though. And by crock, I mean typical Gretchen. Bland, shapeless and the most interesting part was clearly accidental. Holla!
I didn't love Andy's. I appreciated it, but just couldn't go there. Perhaps it is subconscious jealousy that I will never in a million years be able to pull it off (or let's face it, get it on), but I also can't get behind the slinky dress. But they worked together and he stayed true to his vision.
As for Mondo, I'm sure there are many who disagree, but I loved it. I would love it more had the bust been form-fitted (which I suspect was his original intent before having to start over), but I love a carnival.
That's all I got this week. It's Monday. I'm tired, and apparently, not very quick with the wit. Please make up for my shortcomings in the comments. I need a pick up.
6 comments:
Andy's dress/model looked like The Creature from the Black Lagoon's prom date. I didn't mind the ready-to-wear look though. Gretchen's latest yawn-inducing piece looked, as Tim Gunn pointed out, like a bathrobe. And the hair?!? This may be the dawning of the age of aquarius in Portland sugar, but you are in NY now. Keep it together. Luckily, the judges redeemed themselves by awarding Mondo the win, his was the only contender.
ps - what's with Valerie's weird frowny-lip expressions? she looks like a cross between Ally McBeal and an angry muppet.
I can't let one more episode pass without saying: I STRONGLY dislike Heidi's haircut these days. Phew. So glad that's out there. Oh, and I LOVE Michael Kors smirky little nod when Heidi asks "Have we made our decision?" Okay, that's all. Thanks for listening.
Some of my best friends look like angry muppets.
...like Schmitty?
Could not agree more about Michael Kors' smug little nod. And could Mondo have been any cuter during the photo shoot? No, he could not have.
Post a Comment