Monday, September 13, 2010

This Ain't No Vacation

After two episodes of the designers sh*tting on Michael C., it was pleasant to discover that this week’s challenge would be resort wear. Maybe the clothes would inspire a vacation from past behavior? Not so fast, this challenge included a twist that required the ominous “black bag”.

Tim surprised the designers with the bad news: each designer would be paired up and have to create a sample from their partner’s design. In his confessional, Mondo vehemently expressed his desire to NOT be paired with Michael C. Alas, his wish did not come true. After a very rocky start, it was a relief to see Mondo apologize for his behavior after he realized that Michael C. isn’t so bad, he just does things a bit differently. The new BFFs then had their arms around each other in the lounge during judging.

As for the others, Gretchen was paired with Casanova and chose to treat him like a five year old. Michael D. had to endure the coo-coo crazy emanating off Ivy. The pairings of Christopher/April and Valerie/Andy were drama-free.

When it came to the top three designs of Andy, Michael D & April, I could only meet the judges two-thirds of the way. Andy’s stunning one-piece bathing suit and wrap (impeccably sewn by Valerie) fit the model like a glove. Michael D.’s dress was sophisticated and unique, and could easily be worn over a bathing suit although I don’t usually associate black with resort wear. Guess I need to go to more resorts. April’s outfit was, in my opinion, one HOT MESS! It was far from resort wear, more like punk-rock lingerie. The boy shorts went up to her armpits, and the top looked like a Calder mobile with a baby doll skirt. And the guest judge, Kristin Bell, wanted to wear it on the red carpet!

After the shock of April’s win, I hoped to get a little bit of pleasure from having Ivy bumped off. She created a totally shapeless hippie top and skirt combo with her signature bland color palette. On the runway, Ivy claimed she had to “simplify” her design to accommodate Michael D.’s sewing skills. I think the judges said she threw him under the bus about ten times. Kudos to Michael D. for taking it like a champ. Casanova and Mondo were also in the bottom three for a non-resort, matronly top and pants, and a loud, mismatched pre-teen bikini and jacket respectively.

Unfortunately, Casanova got the boot instead of Ivy. But the producers showed him some love because he was the first designer to get a farewell montage. I think Heidi will miss him the most. She loved saying his name.

2 comments:

lady librarian said...

Maybe I'm a sucker for punk rock lingerie but I liked April's design. I thought the high-waisted shorts were kinda 1940's. However, I also thought Cassanova's outfit was kinda 40's and didn't see that much wrong with it so maybe that's my problem. Ivy's was the worst and she's getting right up there with Gretchen on my annoyance meter. Speaking of which, I like how Cassanova pointed out Gretchen used the same horrible color palette from the group challenge. girl has issues.

Loved the Cassanova montage!

lady librarian said...

oh! and Andy totally should have won.