Thursday, August 25, 2011

I want to go to a Joan Crawford St. Paddy's Day Party

Well that was fun.

This has got to be one of my favorite PR episodes, if only to watch Nina say "No" plaintively and repeatedly to everyone, for everything. God I love her.

So let's get a few things out of the way. I don't believe either Becky or Anthony Ryan "stole" the fabric from one another. Only a self-destructive moron would purposely choose someone else's fabric in this competition and let's face it, Becky is not the designer I would bet on winning that gamble. But, this being my life of littered lottery tickets, I was wrong. Becky's was better.

Lesser issues needing to be addressed: Laura Kathleen's choice of Kelly green was horrid - and I'm someone who can actually pull off that color (FYI: In Style's Fall issue has declared emerald green to be a winner this season, though my eyes interpret their editorial as being decidedly Kelly green); and please, please, please let's lose the prominent zipper in the back thing. If it's still on the rack at Target, it is time to move on (as if you need an FYI for this one - Missoni is coming to Target September 13th!).

As for the worst, Cecilia was completely defeated and couldn't even manage to make an interestingly tailored dress, regardless of her fabric. I feel for her if she is that color blind, but you don't need perfect sight to feel a problematic fabric. Worse, her design was uninspired. She should have been booted. Not that Julie's design was worth saving. But at least it had vision, poorly executed as it was. Plus I was weirdly obsessed with (and confused by) Julie's short eyebrows.

Anya's jumpsuit was pretty great and I personally have no issue with Laura Kathleen helping her finish. It's still Anya's design and quick thinking that got her to the top 3. The appeal of Viktor's dress was lost on me but he deserved something for having to deal with Bert last week. The star of the show was clearly Kimberly's fancy shirt and smart looking pants. She somehow managed to make me want to wear a metallic gold shirt while also making me think I wouldn't look like a complete idiot doing it. The fit and asymmetrical elements were perfect. Well done.

In what is quickly become my weekly advice for Bert: put a ring on it. Or something. As Tim Gunn says - every week, mind you -use that Piperlime Accessories Wall. Geesh.

0 comments: