
Who knew designing an outfit to showcase a hat could be so challenging? Legendary Mad-hatter Phillip Treacy was this week's guest judge and with a twist, provided the inspiration to be followed by each designer as his head-adorning creations became the muse for the designer's look this week--leaving most of the designers perplexed in this challenge. More confused, though, was myself after the judging table had its way with the designers.
To start, those who were excused as safe should have been anything but! Peach, you are sweet and all, but you have to start being a little more creative because I keep forgetting you exist each week when I sit down to contemplate the episode. Can we please see a different color than pink? You had the coolest hat of the whole collection--a whirlwind of black and white feathers, and you chose pink and cream upholstery fabric, AGAIN. A.J, where did you get polka-dots from that amazing hat? And, to quote past PR contestant Nick Verreos, "Gretchen's design looks very Zara...on sale." Mondo, I just love you so I'm find with you being safe, but your color pallett reminded me of the ugly color scheme Tully's chose to paint the old Rainer building in Georgetown.
Now to get to the winner-happy Father's day Micheal C, but you did NOT deserve to win this week! Did the judges feel bad for snubbing your fab red dress last week and decide to just hand over the top spot this week? Or did they perhaps confuse you with Michael D who did an amazing job and whose color scheme actually MATCHED his hat? Michael D, your use of shape and color was impeccable and truly inspired!
Now back to the winner Michael's golden gypsy dres--the whole handkerchief hemline is too small town Shakespear int he Park "Midsummer Night's Dream' for my taste. I have to assume that something was lost in translation from runway to tv because I don't see where the color of the dress complimented the hat--nor did the shape seem appealing to me. I don't get it.
As for Valerie, still a bridesmaid! Come on, Valerie you are due for a win! Your outfit was cute and managed to work with the mask quite well. And last but not least, Christopher. Christopher, I agree with every other designer back stage--you were a winner in my book. I thought for sure you, Michael D, and Valerie would have been in the top 3. As for your outfit making Heidi sad?! What? Heidi, where does that hat look any sort of happy? Huh? I thought he did a great job and at least deserved to be in the safe cateogry as opposed to the bottom 3.
As for our losers this week: April. Why did you choose white for the diaper shorts? WHY?! And Kristin, we are sad to see you go, you were wacky and nice but that Orchid dress was a mess.
I'm looking forward to the large group challenge next week! Tempers are sure to fly! Bless the souls who get stuck with Gretchen--It is sure to be an entertaining episode!
-Caitlin
To start, those who were excused as safe should have been anything but! Peach, you are sweet and all, but you have to start being a little more creative because I keep forgetting you exist each week when I sit down to contemplate the episode. Can we please see a different color than pink? You had the coolest hat of the whole collection--a whirlwind of black and white feathers, and you chose pink and cream upholstery fabric, AGAIN. A.J, where did you get polka-dots from that amazing hat? And, to quote past PR contestant Nick Verreos, "Gretchen's design looks very Zara...on sale." Mondo, I just love you so I'm find with you being safe, but your color pallett reminded me of the ugly color scheme Tully's chose to paint the old Rainer building in Georgetown.
Now to get to the winner-happy Father's day Micheal C, but you did NOT deserve to win this week! Did the judges feel bad for snubbing your fab red dress last week and decide to just hand over the top spot this week? Or did they perhaps confuse you with Michael D who did an amazing job and whose color scheme actually MATCHED his hat? Michael D, your use of shape and color was impeccable and truly inspired!
Now back to the winner Michael's golden gypsy dres--the whole handkerchief hemline is too small town Shakespear int he Park "Midsummer Night's Dream' for my taste. I have to assume that something was lost in translation from runway to tv because I don't see where the color of the dress complimented the hat--nor did the shape seem appealing to me. I don't get it.
As for Valerie, still a bridesmaid! Come on, Valerie you are due for a win! Your outfit was cute and managed to work with the mask quite well. And last but not least, Christopher. Christopher, I agree with every other designer back stage--you were a winner in my book. I thought for sure you, Michael D, and Valerie would have been in the top 3. As for your outfit making Heidi sad?! What? Heidi, where does that hat look any sort of happy? Huh? I thought he did a great job and at least deserved to be in the safe cateogry as opposed to the bottom 3.
As for our losers this week: April. Why did you choose white for the diaper shorts? WHY?! And Kristin, we are sad to see you go, you were wacky and nice but that Orchid dress was a mess.
I'm looking forward to the large group challenge next week! Tempers are sure to fly! Bless the souls who get stuck with Gretchen--It is sure to be an entertaining episode!
-Caitlin
3 comments:
Love the Nick quote!
This hat episode left me feeling confused. . . why would Heidi see fashion in that rose hat she had on? It kept bobbing while she was talking. Some of the others were interesting, but they mostly seemed destined for the runway, never to be worn in real life.
Small-town Shakespeare in the parking lot, indeed! Hardly anyone got the point of the challenge, which is why Michael won, I think. Complement. The. Hat. Not compete with it or literally translate it into a dress.
Post a Comment