Monday, March 8, 2010

MacGuyver would have trouble with this challenge


This was one of those love/hate episodes. On the one hand, if you can rise to the challenge, you are sure to elevate yourself far above the competition. On the other hand, asking people to stretch their creativity with mediums that are not only completely foreign to them but may actually require some level of materials science education to use, isn't even a train wreck worth watching. Case: Emilio. WTF? Nice save on the "everyone else was making dresses and I wanted to be different" excuse, regardless of its truthiness. But while the bathing suit was wildly hoochie, the greater sin was it was just plain ugly. And if he had more money, it would have been an ugly dress. Though it did make me wonder if they still make silly string.

All of the designs had that 1st-year art school vibe to them. And believe me, as someone who had no business taking sculpture classes but enrolled in three, the end results were all too predictable. Jesse's was very tin-man but not worse than Emilio's. Even Maya's design, while laudable, was only impressive because it fit. I'll give her the necklace, but considering 90% of jewelry is inherently hard ware, it was really more of a savvy choice of accessory to make than amazing display of talent. I'm not even going to go into Color-Block's design. I would have picked Jonathan's instead, though I was distracted by Oscar gossip on the internet while Mila's design went down the runway and didn't notice the fantastic flow of her blocks of white and black plastic. Was it as bedazzling as guest judge Stephen Webster thought? Also missed, why were there four judges this episode?

Jay Nicholas unmistakably owned this runway. It was a dicey start but he perfectly executed his vision. Kudos to you, sir.

3 comments:

Emilia said...

Silly string! That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it. It made me really mad that Nina and co. weren't absolutely APPALLED by what Emilio sent down the runway (and I even had him as one of my picks!) Did she actually say "it's not that bad"??? I thought she'd be horrified. Nina, you failed me. ;)

Lisa said...

Bad fashion = When the only thing my 7-year-old fashion critic can remember about an outfit is that "her bum was totally showing!"

The only thing that saved Emilio was his complete portfolio. Otherwise, he would've been toast!

And silly string is still sold, and still lots of fun :) And, yes, my kid COULD have done that!

Anonymous said...

SHQ: Emilio is on my hit list. Last week + this bikini = unacceptable. He must go. Must go.