Monday, February 1, 2010

A little help here?


You may not know it by looking at me, but I know a thing or two about fashion. Vintage fashion, classic chic fashion, fashion-forward fashion - you name it. OK, I'm not so into the retro 80's look, but that's because I lived through it and I hated it then so I'm really not inclined to live through it again. This is no breakup I'm talking about. No amount of space and time is going to soften my heart. I will not be "just friends" with pegged jeans and neon. But I digress.

What has me questioning myself and shaking the foundation of my very core? How thoughtful of you to ask. It's Mila's jacket. I don't get it. I don't hate it. But I don't see what the judges were all excited about. Sure, it was wonderfully constructed (it ought to be, poor Jonathon). But I don't get it. Someone please explain it to me. Seriously. But don't say it's because I'm old because I'm younger than Nina. Thank you.

I guess it should go without saying that I preferred Jay Nicholas and Maya's, though I did not prefer Jay Nicholas' attitude regarding his immunity. I think Maya's dress (I mean, for reals, let's be clear) would have been absolutely stunning with more time. But the total smack down their $50 look gave Janeane and Ben's $500 design had to hurt. You know Janeane was accumulating crying points for us behind that runway screen.

As for the losers, well, there's not a lot to say. Ping deserved to go. Jesse deserved to be the jerk he was for having to deal with Ping. And Anthony and Seth Aaron's designs deserved second-to-last place. But though their dresses were a mess, those two proved to be a class act, both on and off the runway. Team work and taking responsibility for your poor choices? Well done, sirs.

6 comments:

littlehouseoddity said...

(This is from Caitlin)
Kelly, I agree. I hate 80's inspired clothing to no end. While I appreciate the concept of seperates, the white detail of the coat and pants bugged me--too Adidas inspired for my taste.
As for Seth, my crush grows with each episode. Not only does he look a bit like Eliott Smith, but he is so nice. He handled himself so well and didn't throw his partner under the bus.

lady librarian said...

He TOTALLY looks like Elliott Smith! It freaks me out every time I see him.

Lorab said...

Seth Aaron was so sweet and kind. I also like Jesus and Amy's dress

Unknown said...

HATED the coat. What's to love? Timeless? I think not. Mila bugs me anyway. Can't wait for more to be eliminated... I can't keep them all straight!

Seth and his partner were so good together... hard to do. And I didn't hate their $500 dress. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

Felt sad for Ping, but she was just too flaky. Too flaky... their dresses were unacceptable, especially the $50 version.

jbal said...

I can't explain mila's look and why the judges got all bothered over it, but I have just two words for you from last season: ice queen.

lady librarian said...

Point taken, Jess.