Thursday, October 28, 2010

I didn't see that coming

Well, we got it. Our first bonafide Project Runway meltdown. Totally did not see that coming and I still feel part horrified, part sorry for him and part "it's time to grow the F up, Michael C." Not exactly conducive for the It Gets Better project. Parents, love your children for who they are and people, stand up for yourselves. Now that that's out the way...

Did anyone catch the preview for Bryant Park judging where Heidi says this was their hardest decision in Project Runway history? She means because they are all terrible, right? Because I cannot see how these garments are going to become magically amazing with some new tights and chic baubles (and less some crazy head pieces, I hope). Mondo is, of course, impeccable with his tailoring and amazing with the prints, but at this point I can't really be wowed by the same dress. I'd still wear everything, but we know what we're going to see. Of course, I still want to see it, especially after seeing his work studio and inspiration. And how funny was the story of his dad extorting softball out of him for piano lessons?

I'm honestly torn between Andy and Gretchen. I can't stand Gretchen's aesthetic. At. All. But she's got a point of view, that's for sure. And Nina loves herself a point of view. I don't think I would hate some of the designs so much if they weren't in such a horrible print or drab earth tone. But it's hard for me to see past either of those things. But congrats on making yourself more human, lady. Nothing humbles you like being dumped and kudos to her for even getting out of bed, let alone creating a whole collection that at least she likes.

Andy, on the other hand, has lots of vision but only gets it right half the time. His last challenge dress was amaze, if a bit on the short side. Then again, I am aged way beyond that skirt length and possibly just jealous. But the swimsuit and flowy thing? What was that? It didn't even look tailored. Just a flowy sheer fabric with a hole cut out. In fact, I think I made that outfit when I was five out of my mom's old lingerie and some scissors (long sheer robes were chic and plentiful in the 70's, if you recall, and five year olds just love to cut things to make them "prettier". Just ask my Barbies how much they loved their new haircuts.). He's got vision and is terribly sweet, but I feel like he needs a few years under his belt.

Now on to Bryant Park...

2 comments:

Lisa C. said...

LOVED the idea of you cutting up your mom's lingerie :)

Gretchen--please! Is it just me or has she gone farther and farther down the bohemian path with every episode?

And I loved Mondo's story about having to play softball--quid pro quo parenting rocks!

Aside: I was in the kitchen when this episode started. When I heard Andy say his job as a child was feeding the fish, I started making fun of him--"wah, wah, had to feed the fish! HA!" Then I saw the fish he had to feed :)

tina b.c. said...

here in east coast time, we had the pleasure of seeing a commercial mid finale part 1 that clearly showed who was going to be in finale part 2. I imagine they spotted that faux pas before airing it PST. and even though I knew he was out, I was not the slightest bit prepared for the intensity of MC's breakdown. it was NUTS! get a grip dude and screw your stupid parents.

also, I have to say as a fashion week "insider", bryant park is out. lincoln center is in.

p.s. did you see time gunn on gossip girl?